Large Span Bifurcation – Gautrain, South Africa
The Gautrain Rapid Rail Link connects Pretoria and Johannesburg to the O.R. Tambo International Airport via an 80km high-speed rail system, with approximately 15km of the alignment comprising underground tunnels located in an urban setting.
Geo–Design was involved in this project in the early stages of the design and construction process for the 15km of tunnel sections. This work involved:
- Development of alignment geological model for 15km of tunnel in an urban setting.
- Development of concept design for initial and final tunnel support.
- Initiation and development of cavern options for Sandton Station construction.
- Preliminary Design of bifurcation caverns.
- Review of cavern designs for stations and tunnel bifurcations (UDEC analysis by Geo-Design, Thessaloniki).